Thread: A conversation about training stress - percentage based training vs. autoregulation

A conversation about training stress - percentage based training vs. autoregulation

Good morning team,

I my be stating the obvious here, but I am looking for confirmation on organizing training stress.

Assumption: in order to continue to drive progress, the training stimulus must continue to increase (e.g., volume, intensity, or both; where volume can be driven through additional reps/sets, frequency, and/or introducing supplemental work).

My question is this: when considering a percentage based strength AND conditioing program - as opposed to an autoregulated one - fatigue imparted via conditioning tends to make prescribed training volume/loads more difficult to manage. However, my concern is that, if conditioning is added to a training program (e.g., training for a 5K or an annual fitness assessment), trainees on an autoregulated system of training will fail to produce a greater degree of stress than the previous week, thus they may stagnate or resort to reducing training volume while continuing to drive intensity up (e.g., peaking, therefore, progress is not necessarily 'progress', moreso, its a display of previously developed strength through the reduction in fatigue).

Comparision/Example:

Percentage Based:
    Wk 1: 5x5x500=12,500, 10 miles running
    Wk 2: 5x5x505=12,625, 12 miles running
    Wk 3: 5x5x510=12,750, 14 miles running

Here stress continues to increase each week, however, we know that this will not/cannot last forever, and at some point the trainee will hit a point where they can no longer add weight to the bar or complete all of their prescribed training volume and may even regress (unsustainable).

Autoregulated:
    Wk 1: 500x5@9, 5% fatigue: 475x5 @8,8,8.5,9 = 12,000, 10 miles running
    Wk 2: 505x5@9, 5% fatigue: 480x5 @8,8.5,9 = 9,725, 12 miles running
    Wk 3: 510x4@9.5, 5% fatigue: 480x5 @8,8.5,8.5,9 = 11,640, 14 miles running

Here Wk 2 has less stress than Wk 1 because the training volume was regulated by the trainee's ability to perform, and was likely adversely imapcted by the stress imparted by conditioning. In addition, Wk 3 is also less stress than Wk 1, however, intensity is higher than Wk 1/tonnage is higher than Wk 2, yet a 5lb increase in the initial set of 5 could not be achieved. My question is does it matter that week 2 had less stress than wk 1? Does the absolute value of training stress necessarily have to increase week over week or are we merely looking for an increase in PERCEIVED EXERTION each week?

Bonus: for assistance/hypertrophy work that has been assigned time caps (e.g., 7 mins), in order to build muscle, the convenional wisdom is to increase volume over a series of weeks. Following this logic, over a 6-wk accumulation period, 7-mins of say, barbell rows could be progressed to 14-mins. This seems to run counter to autoregulating strength training.
    Last edited by Samuelclark; 06-07-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: minor exclusion/ typo

At present Burger King has more than 18,000 locations all over the world. Alexandra Behring is the chairman of mybkexperience.com Burger King. Daniel S.Schwartz is the CEO of the company. Initially, the idea of Burger King was started by the founders Keith J. Kramer and Matthew Burns visited McDonald.

There can many reasons behind the success of any company but among them, the homedepot opinion customer satisfaction plays a key role. What includes a customer satisfaction? it can be many things like the products which a company is producing should have quality, quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by zeyayixav View Post
    At present Burger King has more than 18,000 locations all over the world. Alexandra Behring is the chairman of mybkexperience.com Burger King. Daniel S.Schwartz is the CEO of the company. Initially, the idea of Burger King was started by the founders Keith J. Kramer and Matthew Burns visited McDonald.
    Quote Originally Posted by tokiy View Post
    There can many reasons behind the success of any company but among them, the homedepot opinion customer satisfaction plays a key role. What includes a customer satisfaction? it can be many things like the products which a company is producing should have quality, quantity.
    Addressing both zeyayixav and tokiy: the defect of your character is so deeply ingrained that I am unconvinced it will ever washout with time. However, it is my express hope that you find the courage to embrace hardship and become of value to a society not limited solely to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelclark View Post
    Good morning team,

I my be stating the obvious here, but I am looking for confirmation on organizing training stress.

Assumption: in order to continue to drive progress, the training stimulus must continue to increase (e.g., volume, intensity, or both; where volume can be driven through additional reps/sets, frequency, and/or introducing supplemental work).

My question is this: when considering a percentage based strength AND conditioing program - as opposed to an autoregulated one - fatigue imparted via conditioning tends to make prescribed training volume/loads more difficult to manage. However, my concern is that, if conditioning is added to a training program (e.g., training for a 5K or an annual fitness assessment), trainees on an autoregulated system of training will fail to produce a greater degree of stress than the previous week, thus they may stagnate or resort to reducing training volume while continuing to drive intensity up (e.g., peaking, therefore, progress is not necessarily 'progress', moreso, its a display of previously developed strength through the reduction in fatigue).

Comparision/Example:

Percentage Based:
    Wk 1: 5x5x500=12,500, 10 miles running
    Wk 2: 5x5x505=12,625, 12 miles running
    Wk 3: 5x5x510=12,750, 14 miles running

Here stress continues to increase each week, however, we know that this will not/cannot last forever, and at some point the trainee will hit a point where they can no longer add weight to the bar or complete all of their prescribed training volume and may even regress (unsustainable).

Autoregulated:
    Wk 1: 500x5@9, 5% fatigue: 475x5 @8,8,8.5,9 = 12,000, 10 miles running
    Wk 2: 505x5@9, 5% fatigue: 480x5 @8,8.5,9 = 9,725, 12 miles running
    Wk 3: 510x4@9.5, 5% fatigue: 480x5 @8,8.5,8.5,9 = 11,640, 14 miles running

Here Wk 2 has less stress than Wk 1 because the training volume was regulated by the trainee's ability to perform, and was likely adversely imapcted by the stress imparted by conditioning. In addition, Wk 3 is also less stress than Wk 1, however, intensity is higher than Wk 1/tonnage is higher than Wk 2, yet a 5lb increase in the initial set of 5 could not be achieved. My question is does it matter that week 2 had less stress than wk 1? Does the absolute value of training stress necessarily have to increase week over week or are we merely looking for an increase in PERCEIVED EXERTION each week?

Bonus: for assistance/hypertrophy work that has been assigned time caps (e.g., 7 mins), in order to build muscle, the convenional wisdom is to increase volume over a series of weeks. Following this logic, over a 6-wk accumulation period, 7-mins of say, barbell rows could be progressed to 14-mins. This seems to run counter to autoregulating strength training.
    Dude, does a periodised program with a light week in between work? Of course it does. You are definitely overthinking and overwording the situation.

Is it just me or does this RTS business seems to be all about splitting hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuelclark View Post
    Addressing both zeyayixav and tokiy: the defect of your character is so deeply ingrained that I am unconvinced it will ever washout with time. However, it is my express hope that you find the courage to embrace hardship and become of value to a society not limited solely to yourself.
    You'd think these fucking bots could at least get useful and go and fetch us some weed right?