Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right RPE? (VIDS)..

Right RPE? (VIDS)..

markccj wrote:
    Here are a couple videos of my "power" squats on the Dr Squat Cycle. They look awful slow to me, but they feel like they're at the right %/RPE; I feel like I could do about 6-8 reps and the bar weight is approximately (conservatively) 80% 1RM, which equals x2 @7 according to the standard table in the manual. Do they appear too slow to be a 7RPE?

150x2@7 A:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d6jynlwk49...%20%281%29.mp4

150x2@7 B:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c32gpht4yh...x2%407%202.mp4

Here is also a vid of my last deadlift. I'm intrigued as to what you might think because this was 220x2@10, whereas my pull 5 days earlier was 210x5@10. So the percentages/RPE don't quite add up. Could it be a technical issue, or something else? Will my RPE Table just be considerably different to the standard one?

220x2@10 (dropping the bar to the floor knocked over my phone so you can't see the 2nd rep which was painstakingly slow):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d5f8lp996u...20D215%7E1.mp4

I'll be getting an IWA when I test my maxes in a week or so, which will be revealing, but these questions have been weighing on my mind.

Thanks. Feel free to critique my form too because I know its terrible.

Ben Nelson wrote:
    RPE doesnt really have a correlation with speed. Granted you are more than likely going to move the weights faster with your lighter weights. RPE just gauges how tough a set is. If youre goal is an @7 and you hit your reps and still have a few left in the tank then you achieved the RPE regardless of whether it was as fast as your warm ups or as slow as max effort work

Eduardo Chile wrote:
    RPEs are best determined by speed in my opinion. Assuming, your effort is the same from a day to day basis then velocity is a great metric. A tendo is a great device for measuring your velocity.

The issue is you need to know how fast your max in order to effectively use the tendo. If you can really grind, then you will be able to lift slower than others. Granted, I haven't look at your videos, but it is food for thought.

markccj wrote:
    This is where my confusion comes from though:

RPE 7 - Weight moves quickly when maximal force is applied to the weight. "Speed weight" P.15

So while I don't use speed as an indicator at all for 10,9,8 RPE, I try to for 7, but really don't know how it should feel or look. The only real speed work I've done in the past were either cleans (not really speed), and light speed work a la Westside; ~60% 1RM and the weight actually flew. So I use your description for higher RPE, but am trying to apply the description in the manual for 7, and thought I might be off.

I generally use the "how many reps left in the tank?" method to gauge 8-10 RPE. 10 being obvious and 9 most of the time is easy to tell too. 8 is a little tricker, so I might start trying to use velocity as an indicator there, but given the way Mike detailed things in the book I think it is an important indicator for an appropriate RPE 7 weight. What's a tendo and where do I get one?

Donald Lee wrote:
    I use 8 RPE as indicating 2 reps left, 7.5 as 3 reps left, 7 as 4 reps left. For me, a 7 RPE feels somewhat fast. I'll also use 9.5, 8.5, 6.5. It doesn't really matter what numbers you use as long as you're being consistent.

This is a tendo unit:

http://store.sorinex.com/Tendo-Weigh...yzer-p/t-2.htm

markccj wrote:
    That's exactly what I do for 8-10 except I never extended that to a 7RPE.

10 = Max | 9.5 = possible but doubtful 1 more | 9 = 1 more etc.

Due to the description in the manual I figured velocity was an important measure of a 7RPE, but I like the idea of 4 reps left. I think as I try to gauge multiple reps left it becomes less accurate, but this skill should develop with experience.

That is expensive. I'll buy my bumpers and home setup before purchasing a tendo I think, but it's definitely something I want. Thanks.

Donald Lee wrote:
    <<That is expensive. I'll buy my bumpers and home setup before purchasing a tendo I think, but it's definitely something I want. Thanks.>>

http://www.myotest.com/

The myotest device is a cheaper alternative. I'm not really familiar with it, and I don't know if it provides all the useful info for a powerlifter that a tendo does. Here's what Joel Jamieson wrote about the two devices:

Each has its own advantages/disadvantages and best uses. The tendo is more well suited if you want to use it to measure each rep during training sessions. It's a better monitoring tool and is easier and more well suited to use on a day to day basis during workouts.

The Myotest, on the other hand, offers more advanced assessment tools and can give you better information to start with for designing programs. It's also more versatile because you can use it to measure vertical jump/counter movement jump and repetitive jump properties, whereas the tendo doesn't allow this type of functionality.

Personally, I do most of the assessment work with the Myotest then I use the tendo during workouts to monitor and track changes in bar speed and I think this is probably the most effective way to do it. If you have to choose between one or the other then you have to look at your facilities needs. If you're talking about dealing with a lot of athletes then having a single tendo unit isn't going to do you a whole lot of good because you could only use it to monitor one working set at a time. In this case I'd say get the Myotest because the assessment data you can get from it is very useful and quick and easy to get on a large scale.

If you're working mostly with individual athletes or in very small groups then it's a tougher choice because the tendo could be used more frequently in that scenario, but again you have to decide if you'd rather have greater assessment tools or easier monitoring during actual training. Both are important but if I had to choose oen I'd probably go with the Myotest simply because everything starts with the assessment and your program is only as good as your specific evaluation, but again it really depends on your own preferences and which suits your needs the best. I will also add that I've seen many Tendo units break and need repairs over the years but so far the Myotest sesms very durable and less inclined to have this happen.

Mike Tuchscherer wrote:
    I don't know how much you can grind, but in my book those are definitely @7. Let's go down the line:

Was the lift a max effort (@10)? No
    Could you have done at least one more (@9)? Yes
    Could you have done at least two more (@8)? Yes
    Was the bar speed fairly quick when max effort was applied (@7)? Yes
    Was the bar speed very fast OR was it fairly quick with only moderate effort (@6)? No

I'd say you're a shoe-in @7.

You're a little slow in the bottom of your first rep, but that's not really an RPE issue. That's more of a Force Curve issue.

You bring up a good point about inconsistency in the description of @7 and 6 versus @8+. So that's a good point. Lately I've been using something like this:

@10: max effort, no reps left
    @9.5: might have gotten one more
    @9: one rep left
    @8.5: at least one, maybe two reps left
    @8: two reps left
    @7.5: at least two, maybe three reps left
    @7: at least three reps left
    @6: pretty darn easy.

As for the myotest... I've looked into that one before, but since it looks like you have to wait in the bottom to be motionless for the device to work properly, it makes it a bit impractical IMO.

markccj wrote:
    That makes sense. Thanks, Mike. I was too caught up in over analysing things and you make it simple with deductive reasoning.

I'll be filming my maximal lifts next week for an IWA. And I use a pretty much identical application of RPE.

That does sound impractical. If I get the tendo, can I take it to my local gym with me to use each session? Is it easy enough to setup on this basis or is it really only practical for home use?

Mike Tuchschererwrote:
    You could do it. I do. It's not hard to set up.