Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce Yourself

Blog Entries
    Hey my name is Brody and I live in Cold Lake AB, Canada. I'm a 25yr old power engineer and i've been lifting for 9-10yrs. I originally started lifting to get bigger for hockey, after i stopped playing competitively 4yrs ago i really started to take lifting pretty seriously. About 11 months ago i started a PL club and now i train with a 5x national champ and 7 other dudes that got bit hard by the bug. Its been the best training of my life, in december i did my first meet, it was a fuckin disaster, i did not sleep the night before, dropped a squat off my back and performed like shit, i ended up getting 2nd. That was when i got really motivated to improve, in april i entered another contest and won best overall lifter, it was a blast. Oh, btw i'm also 120kg class in the Canadian IPF affiliate. Currently in training for provincials than i will be switching to s-ply gear. My best lifts are:

Squat - 550 raw, 610 wrapped
    Bench - 405 paused
    Deadlift - 675 belt only, a short term goal of mine is 700+.

Anyway, i'm a competitive guy and i've only been lifting to IPF standards for less than a year. I'm going to do everything in my power to be the best powerlifter i can be, i'm new to the sport but at this point still but i want to be a high level lifter. Other than that i have a beautiful fiance, i still play a bit of hockey, pretty avid golfer and like hanging out with my buddies.

As you can see, my name is Steve Trippe, and I am a competitive strongman in the 175lb weight class (SFM as it's known). I have been competing for 5 years, and have lived all over the country training with some of the very best competitors in the world. If anyone has any strongman specific questions, I've either done it, seen it, or know someone that has...

As for myself, in the past year I have just started competing again, taking multiple wins at various shows, a 7th place finish in the US National Championship, a 14th place finish at the World Championships, and a first place finish at the Shreveport Platinum Plus, earning me the spot of the first athlete qualified for the 2014 World Championships.

As for lifts I've done, here is my athlete page on TrainStrongman.com, I try to keep that updated, and will try posting more videos than just what's in the contest write ups. We may even be doing a Q&A for strongman starting soon, myself, top level 231 competitor Lynn Morehouse, and the 2013 SFM World Champion Travis Lucas, my training partners.

As for what brings me to RTS, I am doing an experiment. I train low volume, only 3x per week, and will be spending the next 6 months (my off-season) figuring out how best to implement the TRAC system and other biofeedback techniques in order to optimize my training. While I only TRAIN 3 days a week (2 gym days, 1 events day, typically), I am still in the gym doing light work, athletic work, and balance training up to 6 days a week, so this will be the first avenue I explore for implementing TRAC. I don't believe there are a lot of strongman competitors using TRAC, and even fewer people using very low volume training with RTS techniques, so I hope this provides some new feedback.

Welcome to RTS, guys.

As you can tell, we have a respectful, positive community. I'm glad you all decided to be a part of it, and I'm sure you have some great knowledge to share. Hop in on some threads - give us your perspective!

Steve - always great to have another strongman on board! I hope you plan on keeping a training blog here - I'll look forward to reading that.

Thanks Bob!

I spend a lot of time working with various coaches (trying to learn from the best in each industry, when it comes to autoregulation, Mike is second to none, for example) and it may be unfair to some of them if I posted my training.

What I can tell you is that for the most part, it comes down to total body sessions, 2 gym and 1 event day, with 2-3 exercises taken for one set to or past failure (drop sets, rest pause, etc). There is no way one could train this style very often, IMO, so to keep mobile and develop other qualities, I also do "extra" workouts on 3 more days a week, typically just going in and working up to 50%ish for some form of squat (SSB, cambered, overhead, front) and anything else I may feel needs volume. So far, this training style has worked very effectively for me, pushing my deadlift from 525-605, overhead from 225 to 270, and improving all my events very substantially as a 175lb lifter, in the past 9 months.

I emailed back and forth with Mike though, and what I do plan on doing is at the end of a 4-6 month period of training, write up a long post or article on how I applied TRAC and what kinds of results I got. I've got some interesting ideas, hopefully a few of them work well and we can all learn something from my experiences.

Steve - FWIW, I've had really good results from RTS. Autoregulation, done properly , is a great tool. It's been a while since I gave TRAC a whirl, but: when I did use it, the results from TRAC basically mirrored my own observations about my stress levels. I think the best part of TRAC is that it's an objective way to tell athletes not only that they are under stress, but that they should in fact back off on the work. My problem tends to be that I realize I'm over-stressed, and then I keep pushing.

It's really only recently that I've become somewhat comfortable enough to back off instinctively when I know I'm overstressed.

Anyhow, best of luck - and check your private messages.

Blog Entries
    I have been lurking here for a while so it's about time i posted something and started a training log to get pointers/critique from people doing the same sort of programming.

31 year old male from Scotland , been lifting for nearly 5 years, roughly 2 years for strength, was planning on doing my first comp last year then i done my knee in, after that healed up i done my hip and got set back even longer, start of this year has been alot better and i competed in my first meet in march then my 2nd in april.

comp lifts 200kg deadlift - 160 squat - 105 bench

gym lifts - 202.5kg deadlift - 172.5 squat - 115 paused bench.

Ive got 120 bench before but it was a bouncy touch and go rep last year so don't count it.

bought the RTS manual a few months ago and since creating my program from it i have added 7.5kg to squat , got my deadlift back to 200kg from 190kg and bench from 105kg to 115kg in 6/7 weeks, really enjoying this way of training.

next comp is in august 11th , currently 86kg and will enter the 93kg class this time, last 2 i dieted down to 82kg for the 83kg class , dont think it was a good idea dieting down but i got the lifts i wanted in my second comp so wasnt too bad, hopefully i will be around 90kg for the next one and get more numbers on the board!

enough of my ramblings!!!

Hi All,

My name is Andrew, I am English but have been living in Germany for 10 years. I am 42 years old and 140 kg. Trained on and off for years, but more seriously for about the last year or so. Am basically looking to get stronger all the time and constantly improve my lifts. Have never done a meet, but would love to give one a go.

My main goals are to increase my training frequency and improve continuity with a view to upping my strength/weight ratio. Best lifts are:

Squat: 180kg

Bench: 120kg

Deadlift: 180kg

I really enjoy doing Turkish Getups and Windmills either with a kettlebell or dumbells. Am working on a 40kg TGU by the end of the year.

Welcome to the RTS forum, guys.

Blog Entries
    Good Day Folks,

I am Gregory Paterson, from near Toronto, Canada. Work in the IT Industry. Only recently got into powerlifting, been lifting for just about 2 years now and I did my first meet this past Feb, 100% Raw in Toronto.
    Current Lifts:
    Squat: 455
    Bench: 300
    Deadlift: 505
    Press: 200

Currently I am following Madcow 5x5 with good results. I have ordered RTS with the Seminar DVD and can't wait for it to arrive.

Thanks,
    Gregory

Chris L. Richmond, VA. Raw powerlifter @ 242 with two years of PL experience. Best raw competition lifts are 529/296/600. Goals are 600/350/650 in the next aprox year. I'm 33 and I'd like to still be doing this when I'm 40 and getting better every year. I love the sport b/c I love competing with myself everyday and letting my inner caveman loose at the end of long work days. I'm also hooked b/c of the people that I've met who have been willing to teach me so much without asking for anything back. I appreciate this site b/c of it's (Mike's?) perspective, which seems different from a lot of other information available. You had me at hello . . . ugh nevermind. You had me at the recovery system is like a drain and the size of the drain can be increased over time. Mike - thank you very much for all of the free information that you have shared. Bob - Thank you for your inspiring story and being an overall badass.